Twentieth-century French philosophy: key themes and thinkers. | Awards & Grants
At the same time the decisive impact of important thinkers whose careers unfolded outside academic institutions, figures such as Georges Bataille and Maurice Blanchot, is necessarily underplayed [End Page ] in this account. Nevertheless the manner in which Schrift's work restores French thought to key historical and institutional contexts makes it an indispensable point of reference for all those interested in modern and contemporary European philosophy.
Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide. Forged from a partnership between a university press and a library, Project MUSE is a trusted part of the academic and scholarly community it serves.
Without cookies your experience may not be seamless. Institutional Login. LOG IN.
French Studies: A Quarterly Review. He states that the very nature of working through the concepts in the French language , and the structure built into the academic process in France, impacted the ways in which French philosophy developed.
- Rock Art and Sacred Landscapes.
- The Golem: Israels Nuclear Hell Bomb and the Road to Global Armageddon;
- Progress in International Relations Theory: Appraising the Field (BCSIA Studies in International Security)!
- ala homepage quick links;
In turn, this concept is reflected in the way in which Schrift chose to structure his book, including his timeline of important historical events interwoven with significant occurrences in both the philosophical and academic worlds. This sets the stage for the rest of the book, including a brief introduction to the basic foundations of philosophy and its progress in twentieth-century France, followed by biographies of leading philosophers working in France during the period, and a series of appendices.
Eric Matthews, in a review for the Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews Web site, remarked that "the value of this book is certainly not as an introduction to twentieth-century French philosophy for those with little or no previous knowledge of it. The review of the developments in actual philosophical ideas and arguments in Part One is much too brief and cursory to help such readers.
2018/19 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
Smith, writing in Choice, "highly recommended" the book, stating that it "should be a required textbook in every course in Continental philosophy. Einsohn, review of Why Nietzsche Still? Reflections on Drama, Culture, Politics, p. Review of Metaphysics, March, , Richard E. Palmer, review of The Hermeneutic Tradition, p.
Similar books and articles
Palmer, review of Transforming the Hermeneutic Context, p. Cite this article Pick a style below, and copy the text for your bibliography.
- Interacting Binaries.
- Module and Programme Catalogue.
- Revolutionary Works in French Politics.
- Meta analysis : a guide to calibrating and combining statistical evidence.
- Twentieth-Century French Philosophy: Key Themes and Thinkers;
- From Windfall to Curse?: Oil and Industrialization in Venezuela, 1920 to the Present;
September 24, Retrieved September 24, from Encyclopedia. These include those specifically indigenous aspects of the Most users should sign in with their email address. If you originally registered with a username please use that to sign in. To purchase short term access, please sign in to your Oxford Academic account above. Don't already have an Oxford Academic account? Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. Sign In or Create an Account. Sign In.
- MARCEL STUDIES!
- Inverse Problems : Basics, Theory and Applications in Geophysics.
- Molecular Assembly of Biomimetic Systems?
- The History of Theoretical, Material and Computational Mechanics - Mathematics Meets Mechanics and Engineering!
- System 80+ Standard [nucl. powerplnt] Design - Piping Benchmark Probs.
- Alan D. Schrift, Twentieth-Century French Philosophy: Key Themes and Thinkers - PhilPapers.
- Moral Clarity: A Guide for Grown-Up Idealists.
Article Navigation. Close mobile search navigation Article Navigation. Volume